Luxury Homes For Sale In Rancho Santa Fe
AVERAGE HOME PRICES
AVERAGE HOME STATISTICSIN TERMS OF
AVERAGE HOME PRICESPER SQUARE FEET
Rancho Santa Fe is an affluent community renowned for its picturesque setting, world-class amenities, top-ranking schools, and impressive collection of luxury homes. Nestled amidst North County San Diego’s undulating hills covered with eucalyptus tree groves and orchards, this highly coveted community is the perfect choice for those seeking a comfortable and refined lifestyle in an idyllic environment.
A luxury home in Rancho Santa Fe provides an unsurpassed living experience in one of Southern California's most prestigious zip codes. Whether you’re looking for a permanent residence, a vacation home, or the perfect investment property, the luxury homes for sale in Rancho Santa Fe are guaranteed to fulfill any type of requirement and preference.
On this page, we shine the spotlight on this sought-after community. We’ll take a closer look at the lifestyle, the real estate options, the attractions, and everything that makes Rancho Santa Fe an exceptional place to live.
A BRIEF LOOK AT RANCHO SANTA FE’S HISTORY
- During the Spanish colonial period, Rancho Santa Fe was known as Rancho San Dieguito, a land grant of over 8,800 acres made to Juan Maria Osuna, the first mayor of the Pueblo of San Diego.
- In 1906, the entire land grant was purchased by the Santa Fe Railway and was used as a tree plantation to grow and harvest lumber for use as railroad ties. After the venture proved unsuccessful, the Santa Fe Land Improvement Company was formed to oversee the development of a planned community of estates.
- In 1921, the Santa Fe Land Improvement Company laid the groundwork for a subdivision by filing a map generated by road engineer and land expert Leon Sinnard. Lillian Rice and the renowned architectural firm Requa and Jackson supervised the development of the new community.
- Over 6,000 acres of the original Rancho San Dieguito land grant were developed and renamed Rancho Santa Fe in 1922.
RANCHO SANTA FE AT A GLANCE
Rancho Santa Fe is part of the San Diego metropolitan area and is located approximately 20 miles northwest of Downtown San Diego. The community is around four miles inland from the Pacific Ocean, east of the coastal city of Solana Beach.
The primarily residential community encompasses about 6.8 square miles and is currently home to over 3,000 residents.
Like other coastal communities in Southern California, Rancho Santa Fe experiences a warm-summer Mediterranean climate with beautiful weather year-round. Average temperatures in the area range from around 50°F to 80°F throughout the year and rarely go below 40°F. Even during the hot summer months, refreshing breezes from the Pacific Ocean keep the community cool compared to non-coastal communities.
One of the best things about living in Rancho Santa Fe is it gets an average of more than 260 sunny days every year, providing many opportunities to indulge in outdoor recreational activities.
Public schools in Rancho Santa Fe are served by the Rancho Santa Fe School District, one of the most highly rated public school districts in California. The district administers R. Roger Rowe Elementary School and R. Roger Rowe Middle School, both of which consistently receive excellent scores on the Academic Performance Index.
Although there are no high schools within Rancho Santa Fe, students can attend the nearby Torrey Pines High School (TPHS)in the neighboring community of Del Mar.
For families looking for private schools, Rancho Santa Fe features several top-rated private schools such as:
RANCHO SANTA FE, CA LUXURY HOMES FOR SALE
Those interested in luxury homes for sale in Rancho Santa Fe can choose from a wide variety of impressive real estate options ranging from elegant villas to bespoke estates on acres of manicured grounds. Many luxury homes are enriched with indoor-outdoor living spaces that take full advantage of the breathtaking views and pleasant year-round climate, allowing residents to enjoy utmost relaxation amidst a serene environment.
Upscale residences in this highly coveted community set the standard for luxury living by offering a seamless combination of sophistication, privacy, and comfort. Some examples of first-rate features you can find in Rancho Santa Fe luxury homes include:
- Stylish, natural light-filled interiors with hardwood and tile floors
- Soaring wood-beamed ceilings
- Beautifully appointed formal dining rooms and living rooms
- Grand gourmet kitchens with oversized eat-in islands, marble countertops, custom cabinetry, and premium quality stainless steel appliances
- Lush resort-like yards with swimming pools and spacious patios perfect for entertaining
- Elegant primary suites with spa-like ensuite baths and large walk-in closets
- Bonus rooms perfect for use as a fitness studio, media room, playroom, or home office
- State-of-the-art barns with in-and-out stalls
- Riding arenas
- Tack rooms
- Pens with multiple horse walkers
- Grooming areas
- Farrier workspaces
- Expansive fenced pastures
- Direct access to groomed trails
- The Covenant - Established in 1928, The Covenant is Rancho Santa Fe’s original planned community and a superb choice for anyone looking forward to a luxurious lifestyle. Encompassing over 6,300 acres of meticulously manicured land, the prestigious neighborhood features an impressive selection of luxe estates, all within walking distance from Rancho Santa Fe Village’s collection of fine dining restaurants and upscale boutiques. The affluent community is also known for providing an unsurpassed equestrian lifestyle with over 45 miles of well-groomed riding trails and outstanding facilities like the Rancho Santa Fe Riding Club and Saddling Club.
- The Bridges – Nestled in the heart of Rancho Santa Fe, The Bridges is a private golf and country club community tucked away in an idyllic environment among gently sloping foothills, citrus groves, and sweeping fairways and greens. Set on 540 acres, the prestigious community has a tranquil small town atmosphere and one of the finest amenity collections in all of Rancho Santa Fe, creating a perfect balance between laidback and luxurious. For avid golfers, a home in The Bridges is the dream. The community’s crown jewel is an 18-hole masterpiece from renowned golf course architect Robert Trent Jones II. In addition to its world-class championship golf course, The Bridges features an abundance of resort-style amenities including an expansive clubhouse, a state-of-the-art sports facility, an expansive tennis center with five lighted courts, gourmet restaurants, and more.
- The Groves – Established in the 1980s, The Groves is a gated community set on hilly terrain covered with lush Valencia citrus groves. The exclusive neighborhood consists of parceled lots ranging from one to three acres, together with more than 50 acres dedicated to open space, creating a scenic living environment for residents. Only 44 home sites are available in The Grove which rarely go on the market, so it’s best to act fast if you come upon your dream home in this highly exclusive community. Luxury homes here feature architectural styles like Spanish/Mediterranean Revival and California Ranch, and many are highlighted by picture-perfect views. Amenities include scenic hiking trails, two tennis courts, and well-maintained common areas.
- Fairbanks Highlands – Fairbanks Highlands is an affluent guard-gated residential community consisting of 93 home sites nestled upon 368 acres of undulating hills and idyllic countryside. Residences here are built and designed with the highest standards of craftsmanship by Taylor Woodrow Homes and Robert Hidey Architects. Every home site encompasses a minimum of one acre, offering unparalleled privacy in a picturesque natural setting.
- The Crosby – Named after legendary multimedia star Bing Crosby, The Crosby is a luxurious private community encompassing more than 722 acres, surrounded by an enchanting landscape of rolling hills, rugged canyons, and lush green space. Residences at The Crosby consist of villas, semi-custom, and custom home sites, many equipped with first-rate features such as elegant living areas, relaxing spa-like baths, stylish gourmet kitchens, and primary suites offering sweeping views of the breathtaking landscape. Residents at The Crosby savor a luxurious lifestyle with easy access to top-quality amenities including a state-of-the-art clubhouse, tennis courts, swimming pool and spa, and a Brian Curley-designed championship 18-hole golf course.
Equestrian properties in Rancho Santa Fe
For homebuyers searching for equestrian properties, many of the finest luxury homes for sale in Rancho Santa Fe fully embrace the equestrian lifestyle. The community has a reputation as a haven for equestrians with its beautiful trails, top-quality amenities, and outstanding services.
In addition to being minutes away from riding trails and facilities, many equestrian luxury homes are equipped with a range of features such as:
Neighborhoods in Rancho Santa Fe
Luxury homebuyers are spoiled for choice when it comes to neighborhoods, as Rancho Santa Fe features a great selection of upscale communities, each with its own unique character, lifestyle, and amenities.
Below are some of the best neighborhoods where you can find many of Rancho Santa Fe’s finest high-end residences:
Ready to begin your search for luxury homes for sale in Rancho Santa Fe? Discover the best residences for sale in this sought-after community by browsing our Featured Properties.
LIVING IN RANCHO SANTA FE
- Rancho Santa Fe Golf Club- Experienced and casual golfers alike can enjoy an unparalleled golfing experience at the prestigious Rancho Santa Fe Golf Club. Opened for play in 1929, the 18-hole Max Behr-designed golf course boasts a classic layout with a harmonious balance of challenge and playability. Spanning a length of 7,035 yards, the championship course is renowned for having some of the finest walkable designs in the world, with an impeccably designed layout that seamlessly blends with the landscape’s natural contours.
- Del Mar Country Club–Tucked within a tranquil valley, Del Mar Country Club’s world-class championship course is as picturesque as it is challenging. Designed by award-winning golf course architect Joseph Lee, the captivating course takes players on an unforgettable golfing experience through serene lakes, bubbling streams, and lush native flora and fauna. Its fairways and greens boast impeccable surfaces, ensuring pristine playing conditions year-round. The course’s design is masterfully integrated into the natural terrain and offers five tee settings, which guarantees an enjoyable experience for golfers of all skill levels.
- Rancho Santa Fe Historical Museum & Library–Discover the area’s rich history by visiting the Rancho Santa Fe Historical Museum & Library. Housed within a Spanish mission-style building once used as a school, the museum features a vast collection of clothing, furniture, and other artifacts used by early California settlers. One of the highlights of the museum is the La Flecha House, the first residence in Rancho Santa Fe designed in 1923 by Lilian Rice. The house served as an example of the Spanish Colonial Revival architectural style Rice envisioned for the community and was also the first library in the County of San Diego.
- Thyme in the Ranch– Treat your taste buds to delicious breakfast and lunch fare along with a variety of artisan baked goods. Established in 1995, this charming neighborhood café and bakery has become one of Rancho Santa Fe’s most popular family gathering spots, thanks to its inviting cottage ambiance and delightful selection of sandwiches, soups, and salads, all made with fresh, locally sourced ingredients
- Mille Fleurs–In the mood for delectable French flavors? Mille Fleurs is sure to hit the spot. This renowned French bistro is one of Rancho Santa Fe’s most popular restaurants, garnering numerous accolades for more than four decades, including “Best French Restaurant” and “Best of the Best” from San Diego Magazine, and “Top 25 in America from Food & Wine Magazine.
- 067 Eatery – Located in Rancho Santa Fe’s Fairbanks Village Plaza, 067 Eatery is a cozy neighborhood restaurant offering casual comfort cuisine in a sophisticated yet relaxed setting. Their menu features a great selection of sandwiches, salads, quesadillas, and other traditional comfort food. Among their standout dishes is the holiday turkey panini, which boasts a flavorful combination of hand-carved turkey breast topped with provolone and cranberry, served on freshly baked sourdough bread
- Rancho Santa Fe Bistro – Known as one of the best brunch destinations in North County, Rancho Santa Fe Bistro has delighted countless diners with its curated menu offering a wide variety of bistro classics including salmon BLT, grass-fed sirloin burgers, baked brie with grapes, chicken piccata, and more Their menu is perfectly complemented by their superior wine selection featuring varietals from many of the best California wineries. Be sure to try their signature shrimp pasta primavera, a flavorful and filling pasta with fresh shrimp served with butter cream sauce, olive oil, parmesan cheese, and asparagus – an absolute palate pleaser.
Living in Rancho Santa Fe places you in a prime location minutes away from an array of exciting attractions and family-friendly destinations. Below are some of the many activities and venues you can enjoy in Rancho Santa Fe.
Among the best hiking trails near Rancho Santa Fe is Annie’s Canyon Trail, a 4.5-mile out-and-back trail winding throughout the scenic San Elijo Lagoon Ecological Reserve. Tucked within the coastal bluffs bordering Solana Beach, the trail offers two routes leading to the top of the bluff that overlooks the canyon: the easier switchback route and the more challenging slot canyon route. Whichever route you choose to take, the dramatic views of the lagoon, the canyon, and the Pacific Ocean waiting for you at the top of the bluff are absolutely worth it!
Another popular hiking destination in the area is the Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve, which features more than 11 miles of multi-purpose trails. The 784-acre reserve offers guided hikes led by experienced docents, which take hikers on an unforgettable adventure through acres of oak woodlands, coastal sage-scrub communities, and enchanting riparian sections surrounding Escondido Creek.
Equestrians can enjoy easy access to the renowned Rancho Riding Club, a world-class facility that has been serving the Rancho Santa Fe equestrian community for more than 70 years. Nestled on 11 acres in the heart of Rancho Santa Fe, the facility offers a variety of services including training, care and boarding, private lessons, and summer camps.
If you’re looking to explore Rancho Santa Fe’s best riding trails, the Santa Fe Valley Trail offers a relaxing out-and-back journey surrounded by majestic forest and river vistas, with few switchbacks. Another popular riding trail is the Wildflower Trail, a 2.8-mile loop with several elevation gains and sweeping views of deep canyons and rolling hills.
FIND YOUR DREAM HOME IN RANCHO SANTA FE WITH THE JACKSON TEAM
Browse the best selection of luxury homes for sale in Rancho Santa Fe by working with The Jackson Team, Rancho Santa Fe’s elite luxury real estate specialists. Led by experienced Realtor and longtime Rancho Santa Fe resident Delorine Jackson, The Jackson Team is a group of hardworking professionals who will go above and beyond to help you find a home that meets all of your unique preferences and requirements.